About Me

My photo
Love to read? Then this is the blog for you! I love to read and spent a great deal of my youth at the library, Disney World or running from my sister. And, yes, that photo is of me and the beautiful Evil Queen from Snow White. You will find my reviews on Amazon, GoodReads, Christianbook.com, BAM, Pinterest and FB, as well.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

“Women of the Dunes” by Sarah Maine


36374001

It isn’t often that I finish a book and immediately look to see if I own any others by that author so that I can start reading another. “Women of the Dunes” by Sarah Maine was that good! Betrayal, murder, romance, archaeology, myth, handsome Scottish men… this one has it all!
The author laces together a story of different generations with three alternating time lines. Set in Ullanessm, an island off the western coast of Scotland, Libby Snow arrives to excavate the site of Scottish legend Ulla in an attempt to find burial sites and artifacts. Ulla is a Viking who arrived with her lover, several warriors and treasure centuries ago. The travelers are met by a monk who tries to save the lover’s life but fails. Several legends and poems are written about them and they even inspire the name of the island.
Libby has long had the desire to visit Ullanessm after hearing stories of her great-great-grandmother, Ellen, who previously lived and worked on the island. However, shortly after arriving, Libby discovers a body… an unexpected body that cannot be connected to the legend since it is clearly much more recent.
She then meets the handsome caretaker of Sturrock House, Rodri, who seems to be hiding some secrets of his own.
What happened to Ulla, her lover, the monk and the treasure? What will Libby find? What is the identity of the latest body? Lots of questions that the author fully answered.
Such a great story that was perfectly written. The three story lines were expertly woven together to complete the picture of all three generations. Her writing made me feel as if I was there on Ulanessm. A great book with an excellent ending that would be a perfect vacation/beach read.
Oh, by the way, “The House Between Tides” is next; I’ll let you know.
Publication Date: July 24, 2018
Genre:  Women’s Fiction, Historical, Mystery, Suspense
Cover: Perfect and beautiful!
Rating: 5 stars
Source:  I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review. Thank you for the opportunity to read this great book!

#NetGalley #WomenOfTheDunes #SarahMaine

No comments:

Post a Comment